Saturday 14 November 2009

Lentils San Stefano

This is a fabulous lentil stew made from very simple ingredients. The key to the great taste is careful preparation. You may want to read the recipe through carefully before beginning.

  • 8 cups water
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 lb (1 1/8 cups) lentils
  • 3 bacon slices, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 slices baguette, sliced to 1/2 inch thickness and toasted
  • 1/2 lb potatoes (2 medium), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 (14- to 15-oz) can whole tomatoes in juice, finely chopped and juice reserved
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano

Bring 3 cups water and bay leaf to a boil in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan, then add lentils and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let lentils soak 1 hour. Drain lentils in a colander.

Cook bacon in a 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until deep golden and some fat is rendered, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain and reserve for garnish, leaving fat in the pot.

Add oil to fat in pot and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then fry bread, turning once, until golden, about 1 minute total. Transfer toasts to paper towels to drain and lightly season with salt. Add potatoes to fat in pot and sauté, stirring, until golden, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Add onion and garlic to pot and sauté, stirring, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in lentils, tomatoes with their juice, sugar, salt, pepper, and remaining 5 cups water and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are just tender and stew is thickened, 40 to 45 minutes. Discard bay leaf and stir in potatoes, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Thin stew with water if desired, then serve over toasts or with toasts on the side. Sprinkle with bacon if using.

Serves 4 (This meal costs about £0.33/person.)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF MARTINEZ LEXIE (Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com OR +18168926958).

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I'm a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Renee Joan Rothell, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about Mr Martinez Lexie of ( Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com ); that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy.. After that my loan application worth 78,000.00 USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company website: http://lexieloans.bravesites.com OR text: +18168926958

    ReplyDelete